“In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.” (Hebrews 1:1-4, NIV)
It is Christmas Eve, and we will be celebrating the birth of Jesus. It may well not be as we had been expecting in March, or in July, and different to what it was only a week ago.
What we are celebrating is still the same, however. The Son of God, born as a baby. The God who comes to where we are, and the Son who shows us what God is like.
While very much wanting us to meet together as a church family, please do carefully consider whether attending in person is the most appropriate thing for you do to. In particular, if you are unwell, or showing any of the COVID related symptoms, please do not attend in person.
The first few Sundays after Christmas will be slightly different from usual. The only services happening will be:
- 10.30am, Sunday 27th December: Holy Communion at St Thomas, Northaw. Because of limited seating, it is essential that you register to attend using this form.
- 10.30am, Sunday 3rd January: an informal service at St Andrew, Cuffley.
- 10.30am, Sunday 10th January: Holy Communion at St Andrew, Cuffley. The usual pattern of 8.30 St Thomas/10.30 St Andrew will be in place from Sunday 17th January.
There will be no online Sunday services until 17th January. There are a number of local churches offering online services on those Sundays, including:
- 10pm, Thursday 24th December: Christmas Night Communion. A short service of Holy Communion (Book of Common Prayer) at St Thomas, Northaw. Because of limited seating, it is essential that you register to attend using this form.
- 10am, Friday 25th December: Christmas Family Celebration. Our Christmas morning service from St Andrew, Cuffley and online, followed by a service of Holy Communion. Please sign up using this form.
- 4pm, Friday 25th December: Coffee, Cake and Chat. A virtual coffee via Zoom (bring your own coffee and cake!). If you’d like to join us, please email the vicar for details.
With my prayers and best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Rev’d Chris Kilgour Vicar of Northaw and Cuffley